Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Crock Pot Oatmeal

I love oatmeal in the winter. There's something about the warm heartiness that I've always enjoyed. Plus, it's usually a fairly quick thing to make in the morning.

Well, it just got even easier...

I found this original recipe for raisin nut oatmeal in the October-November 2012 issue of Healthy Cooking. I changed a few things to make it even yummier to me. Instead of an apple, I used a pear (bartlett is my favorite), instead of raisins I used craisins, I omitted the pecans, and I added more cinnamon.

Crock Pot Oatmeal

3 1/2 cups skim milk
1 large pear, chopped (I keep the peel on for added fiber)
3/4 cup steel-cut oats
3/4 cup craisins
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)

In a 3 quart slow cooker coated with cooking spray, combine first eight ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until liquid is absorbed. Spoon oatmeal into bowls; sprinkle with pecans.

**You may substitute 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats for the steel-cut oats and increase the milk to 4 1/2 cups. However, the steel-cut oats hold their texture in the slow cooker better than quick-cooking oats, which take on a smoother consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment