Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Sweet Pickle Relish

Sorry, no pictures for this post...at least not right now. This recipe comes from my Grandma Wray. This has always been my favorite pickle relish recipe.

Sweet Pickle Relish
8 cups ground cucumbers 
2 cups ground onions (I use white)

Sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 2 hours. Drain well then add to the following mixture when it's ready to boil.

3 cups sugar
3 cups vinegar (any kind but I usually have white on hand)
1 teaspoon whole allspice
2 teaspoon celery seed
1 stick cinnamon (I use ground cinnamon if I don't have this on hand)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric

Put all spices in a cloth bag. Let boil and boil slow for 25 minutes. 

Pack hot relish into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Process 10 minutes into a boiling-water canner. 

Yield 4 1/2 pintes

No comments:

Post a Comment