Thursday, January 1, 2009

Sugar Cookies


This recipe originally came from my home town bakery. I have so many memories of going to the bakery after school & just drowling over all the goodies there. My home economics teacher gave us this recipe & I have been so grateful ever since because the bakery went out of business before we made them.


The dough itself isn't very exciting but the almond extract in the glaze usually makes everyone wonder what you did differently when making these sugar cookies. I make these every year for my family & honestly wouldn't use a different recipe. You can leave them plain with the glaze or decorate with sprinkles, etc.


The baked cookies freeze very well. This year I made a double batch of the dough & froze the baked cookies for a few weeks. When I was ready, I let the cookies thaw then glazed them.


Sugar Cookies


3/4 cup sugar

3/4 cup butter

2 teaspoons baking powder

2 3/4 cup flour


Cut all ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine with the following ingredients with an electric mixer.


2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla


Roll dough out on a lightly floured counter top. Cut with cookie cutters. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees.


Glaze

2 1/2 cup powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

2-3 tablespoons milk

1 teaspoon almond extract


Mix until smooth and drizzle consistency. Frost cookies with glaze & allow to dry on waxed paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment