Friday, May 15, 2009

Rhubarb Bread

I love the newness of spring. All the flowers are blooming, animals being born, & the weather is getting nicer. Currently, my husband & I have been enjoying our walks in the park, smelling the fresh air & watching the baby geese grow.

We also have been planting our garden & visiting the local farmers market. Last weekend I was excited to see that the local farmers had some rhubarb for sell. This fruit takes me back to my childhood when my grandparents grew it & made a variety of delicious desserts. So I decided to make one of my old favorites, rhubarb bread.
Rhubarb Bread
2 cups rhubarb, diced
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sour milk or buttermilk*
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix ingredients together. Divide batter between 2 greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. You can also make 4 mini loaves or 2-3 dozen muffins.
*To make sour milk, add 1 Tablespoon lemon juice to 1 cup milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment